A QR code is a black and white square barcode that is used to link the Post Office GOV.UK Verify app to your registration. This QR code can be found on the Post Office registration web page (and not on an identity document for example). Below you will find an example QR code:
The information in this article is only applicable if you have been filling out your Post Office registration on a computer or laptop. If you have been filling out your registration on a smartphone or tablet, you will not need to scan a QR code. Should this be the case for you, please see the pages below for more information:
Downloading the Post Office app to scan your QR code
The QR codes used on the Post Office registration web page need to be scanned by the Post Office GOV.UK Verify app and will not respond correctly when scanned by other QR code scanning apps. Our app can be installed by searching for 'Post Office' in the app store of your smartphone/tablet or by heading to one of the links below:
What is the QR code used for?
The Post Office web page uses QR codes for two purposes:
- While uploading a document so that the Post Office GOV.UK Verify app knows which account to upload your document to.
- While setting up two-factor authentication for your account (for example if you are unable to confirm your mobile phone number when you first create the account)
Where do I find the QR code?
You will find the QR code you need on the Post Office registration web page. If you are no longer on our registration web page, please see the following article for steps to log back in: How do I get back to the registration web page? The QR code will only be visible when you view our web page on a computer or laptop.
I have found my QR code, but the app won't recognise it
If you encounter any issues while scanning the QR code from your computer screen, we advise you to check the following:
- Ensure that you are using our specific app (Post Office GOV.UK Verify)
- Make sure that your mouse cursor is out of the way of the code
- Check that the code is not being covered by reflections on your computer screen
- Turn up the brightness of your computer screen.
- Hold your device at a distance and move it closer towards the code. At some point the code should be recognised
- If the camera image is blurry, wait for it to focus or try tapping the screen to force the camera to focus